In 1916, the French Air Force issued a specification for a new plane, capable of filling reconnaissance and light bomber role.
In response, Emil Samlson submitted his design, later known as Samlson 2.
This design won the trials and after few improvements was put into service starting at 1917. It was produced in two versions – 2A2 as a reconnaissance plane and 2B2 as a light bomber.
The Samlson 2 entered the service in our Air Force in 1919, when 49 planes of 2A2 versions, manufactured by Latécoere company, were given out by France. They served until 1923.
As a powerplant, the plane was equipped with water-cooled radial engine Canton-Unné 9Z, capable of producing 230 horsepower. The aircraft was of conventional wooden construction with a two-bay biplane configuration.
For armament, the pilot could operate a single, fixed Vickers machine gun, while the observer operated two ring-mounted Lewis guns and photographic equipment.
Samlsons were well received and well-liked by their crew. They were fast, agile and overall reliable machines.
In our service, first Samlsons were dislocated to Slovenia in Vajnor area, where they participated in fight with Hungary.
In 1920, some were put to use in the flight school in Cheb for training new pilots.
And from this era in Cheb comes the inspiration for my model – White 4.
The kit was produced by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP), where they translated to plastic an older resin kit produced by CMR.
Unfortunately, KP did not improve on the older kit and thus the model requires a lot of tweaking.
The size of fuselage, wings and stabilizers do comply with the original, which is a good news.
Unfortunately, the fuselage is portrayed as a used, battle-hardened piece (a lot of dimples and scratches) and requires a polish using cement and evening out.
Upper wing is portrayed as canopy covered by sheet metal, which is wrong and requires “covering” with canvas.
I used 0.4 mm tape on wings to create ports covering ribs as they did not fit the original with their number.
I also restored the ribs on tailplane by using plastic rods.
Great care was given to cockpit – especially the rear one is nicely visible.
The propeller requires change in shape, as the root area is too thick.
I recommend using a wire or a piece of needle to replace the axis at landing gear. I used needle and added shock absorbers from rubber bands. The landing gear looks more realistic that way.
Bracing was made from plastic strings.
I used Humbrol and Agama colours, lacker was made by Tamiya. Coloured by brush, wooden surface was created by Koh-i-nor pencil.
While some may be afraid because of the complex bracing, with a bit of care we can create a machine that – thanks to it camouflage – catches eye in any collection.